Quotation about Atheism- Part 2

PRESIDENTS AND STATESMEN
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
[Benjamin Franklin]
"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not care to
support it, so that its professors are obliged to call for the help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a
bad one."

[Ben Franklin, _Poor Richard's Almanac_, 1754 (Works, Volume XIII)]
"My parents had early given me religious impressions, and brought me through my childhood piously in the dissenting
[puritan] way. But I was scarce fifteen, when, after doubting by turns of several points, as I found them disputed in the
different books I read, I began to doubt of Revelation itself. Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were
said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. [Robert Boyle (1627-1691) was a British physicist who
endowed the Boyle Lectures for defense of Christianity.] It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to
what was intended by them; for the arguments of the deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much
stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough deist"
[Benjamin Franklin, "Autobiography,"p.66 as published in *The American
Tradition in Literature,* seventh edition (short), McGraw-Hill,p.180]
"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
[Benjamin Franklin, in _Toward The Mystery_]

A book with various quotation about Atheism- This is part 2

To download this book click here

No comments:

Post a Comment